Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Schalke, West Ham United Aiming for Appiah

Schalke, West Ham United Aiming for Appiah
By Nathan L. Redd

Fenerbahce's Stephen Appiah has had his future up in the air in recent weeks, and media reports Wednesday indicate that he may be close to heading to German side Schalke. Appiah, however, has asked Fenerbahce to consider an offer from English side West Ham United.

Appiah told the Ghana Football Association "If West Ham United have expressed strong interest in me, I think Fenerbahce will have to listen to their offer and other offers on the table for me. It is public knowledge that I want to move to England in the interest of the education of my kids, who still live in Italy because of their education. At the start of last season I turned down several offers from top clubs in Europe just to help Fenerbahce lift the title because of my love for the team and fans. Even while I was injured I continued to play to secure the title so they should also take my interest into consideration and listen to the offers. It is only fair that having served them with all my heart they should also take my interest into consideration even though I understand I have a contract with this great Turkish club. I want my future to be sorted out soon so that I can make my future plans now."

The Ghana Football Association also indicates that Glasgow Celtic may still be interested in acquiring Appiah if they unload star Thomas Graveson.

All of this talk may be void, however, as German media outlet Kolner Express Daily indicates that Appiah is close to signing with German side Schalke 04. The newspaper indicates Appiah has agreed on Schalke's terms and the German side's management are ready to sit down and talk to Fenerbahce. Schalke 04 stated last week's comments of coach Andreas Muller were a bluff.

All of these rumors have seemed to pick up steam following the Turkish Futbol Federation's "6+1" rule. With the decision, it appeared that Appiah and/or another foreigner from Fenerbahce would be leaving the club. Fenerbahce has remained silent thus far regarding the departure of any current players under contract.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home