Tuesday, July 03, 2007

"International Football Factories - Turkiye"


International Football Factories - Turkiye
By Nathan L. Redd
After much consideration, I have decided to post the video to "The Real Football Factories" episode on Turkiye here. I wrestled with this decision, but I decided to post it here because although it isn't a pretty picture, it does show an outsider's view of Turkish futbol and the Fenerbahce vs. Galatasaray rivalry.
I have a lot of issues with this episode. For one, I don't believe it paints an accurate view of Turkiye. The host, actor Danny Dyer, seems to believe Turkiye is a Middle Eastern country and doesn't portray its European characteristics. He talks about Turkiye's neighbors to the East, Iraq and Iran, without disclosing that Istanbul is closer to Western Europe than their Middle Eastern neighbors. Secondly, I felt the episode portrays our rivalry as a bitter bloodbath with serious hooliganistic traits. While the game at Galatasaray certainly didn't change that image, we all know that the hooligans involved with both Fenerbahce and Galatasaray are a small minority of fans. The large majority of us want Turkish futbol to be a place we can take our children and enjoy the beautiful game without fear of violence. That majority isn't depicted in this episode.
Feel free to send me an e-mail or leave comments if you feel strongly about this episode. I decided to post it here only because it does involve Fenerbahce, even if it is not completely accurate towards our fan base. If nothing else, by part five (the final section), Fenerbahce certainly comes out looking nice compared to Galatasaray.
NOTE: This episode has strong language, violence, and some "unsavory" scenes not recommended for children or those easily offended. I try not to post that sort of content here, but I definitely want to issue a disclaimer first.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It's a sensationalist story made for TV - like you described - they only showed a small picture of Turkish football - one that fits with the theme of the Television show.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Nathan L. Redd said...

Yes, ofcourse. I actually enjoyed watching it, but I thought "I don't know if I would want a lot of people to see this; especially those not familiar with Fener." I was probably more upset with the portrayal of Turkiye than anything.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Oz Kanka said...

You can now see why we turned down the offer to be on the show

10:09 AM  
Blogger Nathan L. Redd said...

Oz, I remember you told me about this show a while back when they were filming it. In fact, I think I first heard about it from you. What happened with you guys again? I remember you telling me something about being contacted by them, but I don't remember the whole story. Were you familiar with the show before you were asked?

12:08 PM  
Blogger Eski Kanka Jim said...

Yes, we were Nathan. However, we decided to meet them face-to-face and discuss what they intended to do. Oz Kanka met them and it then transpired that it was obvious they intended to do a hatchet job here. So the subject was closed by us.

Personally I think they are dangerous people who should try to focus on the good things about footie. Not much chance of that happening though !!

I have just made a post on The Round Ball in Ankara on the subject.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home