Friday, November 10, 2006

The Biggest Fenerbahce Fan


This is a website typically devoted to Fenerbahce Spor Kulubu and its fans, but it would be insulting and improper of me not to mention the biggest Fenerbahce fan, Kemal Ataturk - the father of modern Turkiye.

Today commemorates the 68th anniversary of Ataturk's death. Ataturk was one of the world's greatest leaders and is beloved by Turks today as much as he was during his lifetime. As mentioned previously, Ataturk was also a tremendous fan and supporter of Fenerbahce.

I am not Turkish, but I have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for Ataturk and the nation that he built. Those of you that know me know that Turkiye has a very special place in my heart, aside from me being a Fenerbahce fan. The world could use a leader like Ataturk today; someone with vision and leadership who also deeply cares about his people. My wife and I hope to someday live in the great nation of Turkiye that he built.

If you are reading this, and especially if you have any connection to Turkiye, please take a moment to think about Ataturk and what he did not only for Turkiye, but for the world.

4 Comments:

Blogger Oz Kanka said...

There is controversy surrounding which team Ataturk supported with Besiktas, Fener and Galatasaray claiming him. Check out this old story from Vatan.

Quite frankly the fact that there is any controversy at all probably means he didn't follow football at all.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Nathan L. Redd said...

Interesting.....I am certainly no expert on Ataturk, but I had always heard that he was a Fenerbahce supporter, even from non-Fenerbahce fans. Maybe he was a Caykur Rizespor fan.....:)

1:49 PM  
Blogger Oz Kanka said...

Or perhaps Gencler. The team was founded in Ankara the same year as the republic after all.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Nathan L. Redd said...

Yeah, I was joking about Caykur Rizespor. I don't know that they even have any fans....

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home