Sunday, July 29, 2007

Zico's Post-Game Comments

Zico's Post-Game Comments
By Nathan L. Redd

Following Fenerbahce's 1-1 draw vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in a preseason friendly, Fener Manager Zico spoke with Fenerbahce TV and commented on his thoughts on the team so far, as well as new star Roberto Carlos.

Zico stated "I believe that we will have tremendous success in the upcoming season. The performance of my players is getting better and better." He stated that although star Alex de Souza did not play, he will be ready for the Fenerbahce vs. Besiktas Super Cup game next Sunday in Germany.

Regarding the game's goal scorer, Ugur Boral, Zico said "Ugur Boral has been playing wonderfully since the preparations had begun. He will be an important player for us this season." When asked about the media attention surrounding new star Roberto Carlos, Zico stated "We are all aware of Roberto Carlos’s skills. He is a great player with a lot of experience. I believe that he will lead us to great victories."

Shakhtar Donetsk Manager Mircea Lucescu said he was surprised by the play of Roberto Carlos. He said he was shocked that Carlos appeared ready for the upcoming season already. Lecescu stated that Carlos's play seemed to be in mid-season form already. The Ukranian manager was pleased with his team's first visit to Kadikoy. "I think Fenerbahce is ready for the new season. They have wonderful and very talented players. I am very glad to experience this great atmosphere in Sukru Saracoglu Stadium. I would like to come here again" said Lucescu.

Roberto Carlos spoke briefly to reporters following the game. When asked about his first match as a Yellow Canary, he said "It was really nice to make my debut in such an exciting atmosphere. Everyone showed great support for the team. I didn't show my top performance but I believe that I will be better in the course of time."

Carlos indicated that Fenerbahce still has a lot of work to do prior to the start of the upcoming Turkcell Super Lig season. "We should not forget that our preseason preparations will continue. Of course there are plenty of things we have to improve on. I think that we should be more self-confident and should play much quicker with the ball."

(Some content courtesy of FB TV)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home