Thursday, November 01, 2007

Kezman Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery

Kezman Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery
Striker Expected to be Sidelined for at Least One Month
By Nathan L. Redd

Fenerbahce striker Mateja Kezman underwent successful knee surgery today in Qatar. The Serbian national is expected to be sidelined for at least a month, meaning he will miss this weekend's vital derby against Besiktas and at least two UEFA Champions League matches.

According to Fenerbahce training staff, Kezman had been experiencing knee pain for several weeks, and the same knee had given him problems when he was with Atletico Madrid previously. X-rays showed that Kezman had ligament damage in the knee, but the injury was not as serious as previously feared.

Kezman missed previous Fenerbahce Super Lig games against Kasimpasa and Konyaspor, although the latter was due to a red card received previously. Kezman was also left off of the roster for Fener's UEFA Champions League match against PSV Eindhoven, which ended in a 0-0 draw.

Kezman told UEFA.com "My injury is a serious one. For the last two or three months I have been suffering but I didn't want to abandon my team-mates and tried controlling the situation with painkillers. However, the pain got worse which has led to an operation. I think I'll be ready in a month. So far, I've performed at 20 per cent. When I return I will be ready to give 100 per cent." Deivid de Souza and Semih Senturk will be relied upon to pick up much of the offensive slack in Kezman's absence.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ozgur R. Nazilli said...

Big loss for us, especially in the Besiktas derby... Hopefully Semih and ─░lhan can make up for this loss, both against PSV and BJK.

2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home