Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Appiah Still Trying to Find Form

Appiah Still Trying to Find Form
By Nathan L. Redd

Midfielder Stephen Appiah returned to the pitch for the first time earlier this fall, but the Ghana star is still trying to regain his old form after suffering an injury last spring. His playing time with Fenerbahce is increasing, and Appiah returned to Ghana National Team duties recently to help the Black Stars win the Zenith Bank 4-Nation International Tournament. He scored one goal in the tournament, but is still fighting to find his way back.

Appiah told reporters after the tournament that he knows his fitness is not where it needs to be after being sidelined for so long. However, he is confident he'll regain his form while helping Fenerbahce achieve success. “I want to assure you that my knee is fine and I am gradually coming back into the game" Appiah told reporters. "I have played some games for Fenerbahce his season and hope to carry on. Surely I will get there. I know I am not sharp like I used to be."

Despite the struggles, Appiah remains confident in his ability to bounce back and help Fenerbahce and his native Ghana achieve glory this year. "I have to be honest with you. I lacked conditioning because I have just returned from a long layoff and I need to play a lot more to peak. I need more matches to get back my rhythm and I am more than convinced that in no time, I will reach the level you all desire to see."

Appiah will get another chance to shine on the international stage later today in his old stomping grounds of Italy. Fenerbahce will take on Inter Milan in Milano Tuesday in UEFA Champions League action.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home