Friday, June 15, 2007

Fenerbahce Confirms Signing of Kazim-Richards

Fenerbahce Confirms Signing of Kazim-Richards
By Nathan L. Redd

Fenerbahce confirmed that they have indeed signed Colin Kazim-Richards late Thursday evening. The 20-year-old was a member of Sheffield United before the transfer. The transfer fee was reported to be approximately $3.1 million, which will net Sheffield a nice profit on the approximate $360,000 they paid for him less than a year ago. The new deal at Fenerbahce is reportedly a 3-year-deal with an option for another year.

Kazim-Richards appeared in 29 games for Sheffield United last season. He was reportedly also sought after by Besiktas and Galatasaray. Sheffield officials stated they did not want to part with Colin, but the profit on the transfer fee will allow them to pursue other targets during the offseason.

Kazim-Richards spoke to the Turkish media after the signing, and Fenerbahce released this quote from him on their website:

"I am very happy and excited that I am joining Fenerbahce, the greatest club in Turkey. I believe that I will do a lot of work here. I know that Fenerbahce aims a greater success in Europe. We all are going to work to achieve our goals at the end. We want to make our fans happy.’’I decided to play for Fenerbahce because they introduced me their club perfectly. It was not hard for me to decide to come here at the end. Yesterday I visited the Fenerbahce Museum. What a great history! Fenerbahce is the greatest club in Turkey. I can play in every striking position. I consider competition as a positive thing for the development. Competition motivates me in the right direction."

Kazim-Richards has Turkish nationality due to his mother's heritage, and therefore will not count as a foreign player under the limit authorized by the Turkish Futbol Federation. Hos Geldiniz, Colin Kazim-Richards!

(Photo and Kazim-Richards quote courtesy of www.fenerbahce.org)

4 Comments:

Blogger Oz Kanka said...

Nathan said: "Hos Geldiniz, Colin Kazim-Richards!"

Are you sure he actually knows what this means? I heard he doesn't speak any Turkish. I may be wrong though.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Nathan L. Redd said...

Hey, I haven't exactly mastered the language myself yet either, so I won't criticize.

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He speaks little-bit of Turkish.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

His grandparents have only spoken to him in Turkish since he was born so he understands it, but he has difficulties speaking it.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home