Monday, April 09, 2007

Fortis Turkish Cup Resumes This Week


The Fortis Turkish Cup resumes this week, with the field narrowed down to the final four teams - Fenerbahce, Besiktas, Trabzonspor, and Erciyesspor. The semi-finals of the cup will take place this Wednesday, April 11th. The first game features Trabzonspor and Erciyesspor at 16:00 (9 AM EST in the U.S.) and the much-anticipated second matchup between Fenerbahce and Besiktas at 20:00 (1 PM EST in the U.S.). The second game features longtime rivals and the top two leaders in the Turkcell Super Lig. The game will be played at Inonu Stadium, home to the Besiktas Black Eagles.
After elimination from the UEFA Cup, Fenerbahce has their eyes set on a Fortis Turkish Cup Championship and a Turkcell Super Lig Title. To advance, they'll have to beat BJK on their home pitch, in what is expected to be one of the best matchups of the season. The two teams met in Super Lig action in November at Sukru Saracoglu, producing a scoreless draw. Now with only four points separating them, they'll face off again in the Super Lig in less than four weeks on the European side of Istanbul.

4 Comments:

Blogger PARISTEXAS said...

I'm Fener fan in Japan.
I finally have found great blog written in English. Thank you!
I hope for Fener's victory against Besi in the 1st leg of the Turkish cup semi-final match tomorrow.
http://room1520injpn.blogspot.com/

6:03 PM  
Blogger Nathan L. Redd said...

Thanks, paristexas! I checked out your blog and I'm also not Turkish, like you. I speak a little Turkish, but not much. However, when I started the blog, there was very little Fenerbahce information in English, so I used my limited translation skills to start a website in English for Fenerbahce supporters. There are a couple of other blogs on Turkish football that are in English - one is www.turkishsoccer.com that is operated by my friend Ahmet Turgut. Another is "The Round Ball in Ankara" run by my friend Oz Kanka.

Thanks again for checking out my site!

11:16 AM  
Blogger PARISTEXAS said...

Thank you for your comment and useful information.
It's 4 a.m. in Japan.
Besi has won....I was shocked.
Appiah...out of bench...do you know what happended to him ?
He seemed very angry when I watched the match against kayseri the last Saturday.
Fener seems in danger both in the Super Lig and the Turkish Cup.
But I do believe them.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Nathan L. Redd said...

paris, Appiah is injured and did not play because of this. I think he is better now and could have played, but Zico did not want to risk re-injuring him. Also, Zico kept Mateja Kezman and Alex de Souza out of the lineup to keep them fresh for the Super Lig games.

There is still so much that could happen in the Super Lig - it is hard to say what will happen. At least Fener has their fate in their own hands. They just need to keep winning. As far as the Cup, we are fortunate to only lose 1-0. Zico did not play some many of our key players, so hopefully we can win 2-0 or better in Kadikoy in 2 weeks.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home