Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Lugano Expresses Interest in Juventus?

Lugano Expresses Interest in Juventus?
By Nathan L. Redd

Fenerbahce defender Diego Lugano recently sat down with Italy's TuttoSport for an interview in which he discussed his Italian heritage and his possible interest in playing in Serie A. Lugano was asked about his possible move to Italy and if it was indeed a possibility.

Keep in mind the interview has a blatant Italian (and especially Juventus) bias and Lugano was baited with several Juventus-slanted questions. Here is an English transcript of the interview:

We begin with your surname – explain the Italian origins
In my vein runs Italian blood, in fact Piedmontese to be precise, as my great-grandfather Lorenzo was from Alessandria.

So you know that Piedmont is a region and its capital Torino, the city of Juventus?
Of course I do! Juventus is a world famous squad and is particularly followed in Uruguay because in recent years a number of our players have worn the Bianconeri shirt. The most well-known being Paolo Montero and Daniel Fonseca.

And Juventus have had admiring glances over you?
My agent has told me that a lot of clubs are interested in me and it fills me with great pride to know that sides of the calibre of Juventus, Milan and Real Madrid are after you.

And who out of these teams do you prefer?
I am Piedmontese so therefore I want Juventus.

Are you ready to play in Serie A?
Absolutely yes. I won the Intercontinetal Cup with Sao Paulo in 2005 beating Liverpool in Japan, after having won the Copa Libertadores. Also in Brazil I won a national championship and a state championship. I also won the Uruguayan title with Nacional Montevideo and this year I won another national league in Turkiye with Fenerbahce.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ozgur R. Nazilli said...

It will be a huge blow to us if either Edu or Lugano are sold at the end of this season. If we are aiming to be a world-class team, we shouldn't be selling players for a profit. Instead, we should be strengthening our squad at the cost of making an aggregate loss from transfers. It will be more than balanced with futbol achievements and monetary gains of them.

I hope we won't make the mistake of selling Lugano. Edu-Lugano duo is one of our most valuable assets.

12:37 AM  
Blogger Nathan L. Redd said...

I used to get really worked up about these things, but I don't put a lot of stock in them now. I don't think Lugano or Edu is going anywhere. Also, if you read this article/interview, it has a HUGE Italian bias and the interviewer seems to be trying to get Lugano to commit to playing in Italy throughout the entire interview. I don't know the interviewer, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of Lugano's comments were misrepresented in this.

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home