Saturday, October 13, 2007

Appiah Happy to Be Back in Action

Appiah Happy to Be Back in Action
By Nathan L. Redd

After a long hiatus due to a knee injury, Stephen Appiah is back on the pitch with Fenerbahce. While his leadership and ability were greatly missed by fans and the coaching staff, no one is happier about his return than Appiah himself.

Appiah made his return last weekend as a substitute for Deniz Baris in the 1-1 draw with Vestel Manisaspor. Although Appiah is far from being in mid-season form, he's just happy to be able to contribute again. Appiah told AllAfrica.com "I'm very happy with my return at last. But the most important thing is that together with my teammates we can close in on the early pacesetters in the league."

Appiah had missed nearly six months of action due to the knee injury. He hadn't seen game action since undergoing knee surgery in May of this year. Appiah talked to AllAfrica.com about the difficulties from the injury and not letting his fans in Turkiye and Ghana down. "Personally I have gone through a very difficult period in my life but I thank God that I am fully fit.
My fans here in Turkiye and Ghana have been anxious about my injury but I want to assure them that my knee is completely healed."

In addition to his return for Fenerbahce, Appiah's native Ghana will host the African Cup of Nations in January and nothing would make him happier than to star for his "Black Stars" on his home soil. He tried to re-assure the Ghana fans that he will be fit in time for the competition. "Ghanaians were very worried about my injury but now that I'm fully fit I can assure them that they will see the best of me in January," he said. "I owe it to the people of my country to be in the best shape of my life when we host the tournament to ensure that we win the trophy. Even though I have not played for the Black Stars since February I have followed they team and I should have no problems fitting into the squad."

Appiah is expected to make a larger contribution for Fenerbahce in their next Turkcell Super Lig match next weekend vs. Konyaspor. It will be his first appearance in a home game since last season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home