Monday, May 14, 2007

Zico: "I Want To Stay With Fenerbahce"

After last night's championship, Zico and members of the team spoke to the media in Izmir. The players confirmed their thanks to the Fenerbahce fans, while Fener Manager Zico spoke for the first time about his desire to remain in Kadikoy, less than two weeks after he told an Italian media outlet that he didn't expect his stay in Turkiye to be a lengthy one.

"This year was very important for us because it is our centenary and it is my first year in Europe, so it means a lot to me too," said the coach. "The season was difficult for us, but it is time to have fun. I have a two-year contract and I want to stay with Fenerbahçe. I am going to meet with the president in the next few days and ask about staying in Turkiye."

Tuncay Sanli, who scored Fener's first goal in the fourth minute, stated "Because of what happened last year this title became very important for us. It wasn't an easy season but I am so happy to take get this reward for our efforts." Tuncay has been linked to transfers to various teams in England and Italy, but the club has stated that they will do everything to keep #10 in Kadikoy.

Umit Ozat thanked the fans for their unfailing support throughout the tumultuous season. "This title is a present for our supporters from us. They have supported us very well in every game and deserved this celebration."

1 Comments:

Blogger Emre Kızılkaya said...

I never criticize football managers in their first season at their club, but Zico deserves it!

Last season, as you know, we lost the title in the last match. Even though we lost it, we managed to collect 81 points, I guess.

This year, even we win the remaining matches, we would be at 70 points!

Then why did they fire Christoph Daum?!

Zico couldn't use the great potential of a well-balanced team. He just consumed the "heritage" of Herr Daum. I couldn't see anything that Zico added to our team.

That's why I won't be disappointed if we change him with someone else, whose experience includes more than Japanese teams.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home